Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Indiana Basketball

Driving two hours on a work week to attend a college basketball game? Yes. Why? It's Indiana.

Driving two hours home on a work week from a college basketball game? Yes. Why? It's Indiana.

I'm 49 years old and have been an Indiana basketball fan most of my life.  I was eight years old when my father, Norm Tonsoni, sat me down in front of our television and introduced me to the Indiana basketball program.  Thanks to The Farm Bureau Insurance network, my Dad and I would always tune in early to see Martha the Mop Lady sing the fight song on TV before each game.

I was nine years old in 1976 when my father shared with me why the Hoosiers epitomized the concept of team.  He taught me to watch Quinn Buckner defend and play unselfishly.  He helped me appreciate the skill of Scott May, the athleticism of Bobby Wilkerson, the role playing of Tom Abernathy.  I remember watching many games during that year and rejoicing with my father when the Hoosiers defeated Michigan for the National Championship. The greatest team ever.  The last undefeated team in NCAA history.

I was sold on Hoosier basketball.  It was what my dad and I did during the winter.  We watched and talked Hoosier basketball.  As an eighth grader, I watched IU defeat North Carolina for the championship while trying to comprehend why someone would try to assassinate the President. I was in high school and on a team bus when the chair was thrown. When it came time to select a college, I was going to IU, simply because of Indiana basketball.

My freshman year was 1985-86.  Walking into Assembly Hall for the very first time was one of the best memories of my sports fandom.  It was a dream come true to watch the Hoosiers live in Assembly Hall.  As a sophomore, I was fortunate to witness another National Championship.  That Monday evening of the championship game I received a phone call from my father.  He asked if I had milk and cookies ready for the game as we had a tradition of snacking on sweets during the championship games.  I had never lied to my father and so I had to admit that we just placed a "keg" of beverage on ice.  On Tuesday he phoned again and asked for me to share how it felt to be on campus. "Dad. it's the best natural high I have ever had.  The celebration ended around 4:00 am."  I could sense his smile through the phone line.

Since the last National Championship, I have been blessed with a great marriage, two wonderful sons, a couple of final four trips for the Hoosiers and sadly the passing of my father in 2004.  What has been consistent is our family's love of Hoosier basketball.  Attending games in Assembly Hall with the family has been memorable over the years.  In 2014, my oldest son decided to attend Indiana for college.  He is currently a manager for the basketball team.  On Sunday, I will be attending another Hoosier game with my youngest son, and we will be watching his brother rebound for the Hoosiers during pregame.  From sitting in my living room as a eight year old to watching my own son work on the court in Assembly Hall, Indiana Basketball has been huge part of my life.

Indiana Basketball is tradition.  Indiana Basketball is about relationships.  Indiana Basketball is more than one team, player or coach.  Indiana Basketball is something to cherish.

Driving two hours to watch a game where the 1976 NCAA champions were to be honored?  The last undefeated team?  The team and players that set the tone for what Indiana basketball is and should always be for years?  Yes - no doubt!

I drove to Bloomington by myself on Tuesday, but I was not alone.  "Hey. Dad, We get to see the greatest team ever again.  Thanks for the introduction."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment